It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Christmas is a very big deal in the Leonetti household and it’s a magical experience! For us the holiday revolves around being together and eating amazing food – really what everything should be about! We have many Christmas traditions, and I look forward to sharing them with you in future posts. However, today I want to focus on the cocktail that we all look forward to on Christmas Day. Christmas cooking is like an Olympic event at our house, so on Christmas Day - once the presents are all opened and the Baked Ziti is in the oven - we like to enjoy a refreshing cocktail. Enter the “Leonetti Special”. I started making Leonetti Specials years ago – it first started as a combination of any leftover alcohol and mixers I had in the kitchen (those were fun times). I’ve refined the concept over the years and now have a cocktail that people can actually drink and enjoy. I think a Leonetti Special is wonderful any day of the year, but I know everyone needs one a little more around this time of year. So – here is my super specific Leonetti Special Recipe!
- Limoncello or Limoncino
- Diet 7-Up, Diet Sprite, or Club Soda (This is really a judgement call – we started with Club Soda and then didn’t have any one time and the Diet 7-Up worked great – Diet Sprite works too. Diet Ginger Ale does not work – so don’t try it. But whatever you use, I do recommend sticking to diet so it’s not too sweet)
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
Ok – so this isn’t a cocktail to batch make – but I usually make about 4 or 5 at a time using the following method:
- Get out Rocks glasses
- Put a few cubes of ice in each glass
- Pour a splash of Limoncello in each glass
- Fill up each glass about three quarters of the way with soda (Diet 7-Up, Diet Sprite, or Club Soda)
- Pour a splash of Fresh Lemon Juice in each glass
- Top each glass with another splash of Limoncello
- Stir, Stir, Stir
- Drink and repeat
**Note – I recommend not adding any additional alcohol to this drink. Sometimes people think they should add vodka – don’t do this. Limoncello is basically vodka- so no additional alcohol is needed. Trust me!
Happy Holidays, everyone! I hope you drink as many Leonetti Specials as you can in the New Year!