White Pizza Recipe
I’ve always been a pizza lover and having our own Ooni Pizza Oven has just made that love grow. Now we can experiment and create all our favorite pizzas in our own backyard. I’ve always loved a good white pizza pie. The focus is on the cheese and the delicious pizza crust – this recipe also includes Italian sausage for a boost of flavor. If you are vegetarian – just make it without the sausage and I’m confident you will find it just as delicious.
For (1) 14” Pizza – roughly 8 slices
- ¼ lb Italian Sausage (bulk – out of the casing)
- (4) Garlic Cloves (grated)
- 8oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (sliced thin & then torn)
- 6oz Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Pine Nuts (toasted)
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano (freshly grated)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (just a drizzle)
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil (10 large leaves - julienned or freshly torn)
- Sauté the Sausage over Medium heat in a small skillet and break up with a wooden spoon
- When Sausage is almost cooked through add in grated Garlic
- Mix, Mix, Mix
- When Sausage is cooked through turn off heat and keep on stove
- Roll out Pizza Dough using flour and form circular shape (or as close as you can get)
- Sprinkle cooked Sausage over the pizza dough
- Distribute Mozzarella pieces evenly
- Add dollops of Ricotta
- Sprinkle toasted Pine Nuts over the top
- Top with the freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Put in pizza oven using your pizza peel OR if you don’t have a pizza oven put in your regular oven at 400 degrees
- Put the pizza in an 800-degree pizza oven (turn the heat down a bit once you put the pizza in) continuously rotate the pizza in quarter turns and it should be done in a few minutes. In a regular oven the timing depends on your oven – but wait until crust is golden brown and everything looks delicious.
- When it comes out of the oven, top with fresh Basil
- Drizzle with just a touch of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Crack a little Black Pepper over the pizza
- Serve and Enjoy!
You can also add Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to yours, but I would recommend adding to the individual slices in case you have someone in the group that doesn’t appreciate the heat of the red pepper. I also suggest pairing your pizza with wine. With this white pizza I would have either Vermentino which is one of my favorite Italian white wines or Pinot Noir if I’m craving a red! I truly believe that Pinot Noir and pizza have a deep love for each other. Enjoy!